Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Day 334 - Blizzard of '08?


There was no school today in Carter County, Ky., because of the horrible amounts of snow we got, as you can see from this first photo of my street.

Once I got out on the main roads, here's how they looked, so you can clearly see why school was canceled. I mean look at that wintry mess.


...and they wonder why we're in school until mid-June every year. I know this will make me sound like a grouchy old man, but when we were younger, just the threat of snow wasn't enough to cancel school. I remember getting out and helping put chains on the school bus tires to try and make it up hills.

Now, if one flake lands on top of another, school is canceled and our kids lose their spring breaks and a chunk of their summers.

1 comment:

Rick Lee said...

Lately I've been going around commenting to people that I remember the bus arriving at the stop with chains on the tires. Can you imagine even having school these days if chains were required?? It's crazy how over cautious these Board of Ed people have become.